The building was converted from a coal-merchants store back in 1913 by the villagers of Firle, and dedicated to the memory of the Fifth Viscount Henry Gage. As a ‘Reading Room, it started life as a meeting place and local baths. In its long history it has had a few changes and seen a lot of local events take place there. Panto’s, WI , Art Exhibitions, Dances, Quizzes, Bingo to name a few.
In 2011 we started work on the renovation, building a extension on the back of the hall to have new toilets , kitchen and storage area. We also now have a small meeting room which will seat about 12/ 15 people at the conference table. The main hall is now larger (70m x 17m) and will seat about 100 people. There is also a small patio area to sit outside.